Thursday, January 24, 2019

Proverbs as Affirmations: My Ponderings about God

Today I have been wondering about God. God can be different things to different people. In the Bible, God is said to be Spirit. So is this Spirit, the substance in which we all live and breathe. Do the vibes that we are feeling affect how God, Spirit, responds to us.

Also, in the Bible, God is referred to as our Father. With that connotation, people expect God to communicate with us as his children.

Which is it, or is it both, or something else?

One of my biggest arguments that I had with God, was when my then concept of what I thought God was, was shattered. I had had a relationship with God, the father figure one. I had prayed to God on a pretty much regular basis. Back in the 70's, I prayed practically every night for God to make the Vietnam war end. I wondered why it wasn't happening. Didn't God hear my prayers?

There were things from my youth that I needed to get over. One of the ways I did that was to listen to a guided imagery tape, and imagine things that I liked and felt good about. I was having fun with it; it was an exercise in relaxing and playing with my imagination.

Low and behold, some of my imaginings started coming true. I was floored and surprised. Those things that I had spent time with in my imagination were coming true. I hadn't prayed for those things to come true, but they did, nonetheless. Why did those things come true when the many things I had prayed about hadn't.

I gave God, of my understanding at the time, a big piece of my mind; and my relationship with God was forever changed.

Nevertheless, I started learning about affirmations, and focusing my mind. I know that those things work, when I work them and stay on track. And I now see God as a Universal Spirit, that responds to us all, but perhaps not in the way that we may think or have been accustomed to.

Since I had, had such a strong relationship with the previous God of my understanding, that longing took awhile to move on from. I re-wrote the book of Proverbs into affirmations, as part of my own spiritual journey. I still wanted to do what God wanted me to do.

I found out, that according to my rewrite of Proverbs into affirmations, that God pretty much wants for me, what I want for me. A good life, good feelings, being kind, being successful, etc. But then, it also says to be reverent of God, to honor God. This part took awhile to learn. I had to figure out who God was.

What I have come to learn is that God, Spirit, is a part of each one of us, that always hears everything we tell it, because that Spirit is inside of us and around us. What we constantly tell ourselves, is what we see in our outer world. The kingdom of God is within.

I wanted to share my learnings with you, so that you can learn from them too, and perhaps have an easier transition.

As for Chapter 24, I am quite impressed with the following affirmation.

I think good thoughts.

I think this is most important, to think good thoughts, and be kind to one another, no matter what one's concept of God is.

May you be blessed with more and more good thoughts. Read more good thoughts in Proverbs as Affirmations. The highlighted text links below the picture will take you to Amazon.



There is a journal version (8-1/2 by 11 inches, pictured on the right), which includes lines to write the affirmations for added reinforcement, or the portable smaller version (6 by 9 inches, pictured on the left), without lines, which is easier to carry.

Much blessings to you on your journey.

As an Amazon associate, I earn income for qualifying items purchased through my Amazon links. Thank you.

Cheryl Paton

Visit here to read the Next Day's Post.

Visit here if you would like to read from The Beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment